PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valkyrie
Thread: Valkyrie
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 03:01
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a very detailed book on the XB-70 programme but I am jet lagged and 'down the line' and can't remember its title and author. Salient points from it:

The B70 was, and I quote, the 'chemically powered' forerunner of a nuclear powered iteration.

The pilots did not eject as from a normal jet, they each 'encapsulated' into a protective shell which enclosed them prior to ejection. A precautionary encapsulation could be carried out with the basic flight controls still accessible and a view through a small window enabled the pilot to read the instruments. This feature was fitted to the prototypes. The aim for the operational version was for the mission to be continued in this configuration. It was also planned for the aircraft to continue its mission with both pilots incapacitated.

The command and control system which the the B70 was intended to operate under was apparently the forerunner of the internet.

A picture of a technician almost standing inside the intake duct to the six engines, it was the size of a small room.

A 'what might have been' photo of one of the XB's taxying past a line of B47s during a visit to an operational SAC base.

Another photo of its ablated paint after the Mach III run.

The XB70 was known by the chase pilots as 'Cecil the Sea Sick Sea Monster', as almost every flight resulted in a problem, particularly with the landing gear.

Taxying the thing was 'interesting', as the cockpit vibrated up and down due to its position on the extended nose.

Its wingtips folded down in supersonic flight to 'enclose' the shock wave and use it to produce lift.

An amazing visionary leap for the 1960s, not a silicon chip in sight, killed by advancing missile technology and horrendous costs. Thank you for posting the image, underfire, it is stunning.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 30th Dec 2013 at 03:44.