PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum Gear extended Altitude and problems
Old 29th Dec 2013, 19:15
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of things.

On the 727, if the tail skid did not retract the fuel burn pentalty was high, surprisingly high. Can't remember the numbers now, but if on a maximum range misson for weight, you were not going have near enough fuel to make it, requiring an unplanned stop.

I have a good friend that was flying a Westwind II for a Japanese ocean fishing company operating in the Pacific Ocean. He departed Midway Island one day heading for some other island and around two hours into the flight the right main gear came out of the gear well and locked into postion*.

He turned around immeditely and headed back to Midway. They barely made it. They could not stay at altitude, 410, and the fuel burn was atrocious. About an hour out of Midway on the return a Coast Guard C-130 joined up with them. He said seeing the C-130 gave them some security, but really didn't think that the Coast Guard would be able to do much for them if they had to ditch with either the right main down or all the gear down, which he decided would be most survivable. But at least the Coast Guard could tell his family the spot he was killed at.

Never the less they landed back at Midway on fumes**. He quit that job and came back to the US, think he is flying a G-V now.

* On Westwind aircraft trapped hydraulic fluid, in a short line, is the main grear up-lock, that line split, all the trapped hydraulic fluid leaked out and the gear came out and free fell into postion. At least that was the way it was 20 years ago, don't if that has changed now or not.

** For those here that are familar with the Westwind II, he had the aux baggage fuel tank installed and filled. If not for that aux tank, they would not have made it back to Midway, that was how close it was of them not making Midway. That'll sober one up. I think he told me that they had less than 50 gallons of fuel left when they filled up the aircraft after the line was replaced and they headed to PHNL.

Just glad it wasn't me that this happend to when I flew a Westwind II from SFO to PHNL a few times back when I was young, bullet proof and hungry.