PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2013, 18:36
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roulishollandais
But accept that such work quality, such teams have been in work in AS & others (the same companies) building the fabulous Ariane501 launch and crash...
Same parent group, but categorically *not* the same company, let alone same team(s). Don't let the common nationality of some of the people involved fool you into thinking there's a common problem.

For one thing, I think that all bit-depth conversions performed in the Airbus EFCS software come from generated code (i.e. thoroughly tested repeatedly and regressionally). There are no "low-level" code changes of that nature allowed using the Airbus process.

I know my position is harsh, strong, strict, etc. I will not change a comma.
It's not that your position is any of those things - what bothers me is that your (vehemently stated) assumptions were incorrect in this case.

The fact that I am an (retired) airline pilot too is an obligation to save lifes of my colleagues, not probability of live.
All well and good, but let's be clear - the number of line incidents involving both Airbus and Boeing FBW types that can be put down to a syntactic or logical (code-level) error in the computer code is zero - I repeat, zero.

The few issues that have transpired have always been down to assumptions made at the design level (and signed off by pilot engineers) which turned out to be either incorrect or incomplete, as was the case before digital flight control systems existed.