PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2013, 08:47
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kungfu ; It isn't a taxi-way but a taxi-lane. Quite a few assumptions in the ANO and the UK Air pilot. At any airfield, anywhere in the world, different terms have different regulations like load bearing strength, wing tip clearances, aircraft over a certain weight etc. I am afraid that we are expected to know this and I am truly sorry to say, we, the professional crew, are responsible at all times.

A nice yellow line painted down the assumed centre of a taxiway is for guidance . We are expected to familiarise ourselves with taxi routings. We are expected to know the difference between a taxiway & a taxilane. It would be helpful if all airports in the world had illuminated taxiways, nice green 'follow me' centre lines, big red 'NOT FOR 747 ' signs etc, but, they don't.

Read the post by the military guy who was present at the Court Martial of an Argosy captain who did everything right but was still found guilty. Why ??? Simply, the law made him responsible & I guess the prosecuting lawyer argued, correctly, that the yellow line was for guidance, not for strict obeyance . I stated in my opening paragraph that I was truly sorry. The law is an ass but we can see where lawyers are coming from. The ILS and any approach aid is for guidance. We are guided to a position where we can make a visual landing. We are responsible at all times and held accountable if it all goes horribly wrong. Follow a faulty GP or Loc signal "thinking" it was correct will lead you into the deepest pooo immaginable.

British law is based on approved legislation but a feature is precedent. Where a Judge rules ( if not already case ) it becomes case law. Judges have ruled, many times in our profession, that the pilot (of course, ultimately the Commander) is Fully & finally responsible. I don't like it. I have opposed it. But, it is, currently, the law & it is the law that should be changed.

Observation through my career has revealed many cases where the Capt was ultimately held responsible even though the mitigation was profound. Aircraft following neat little lines but still contacting buildings and / or other aircraft not properly parked astonish me. Aircraft following Marshaller's instructions into buildings and/or other badly parked aircraft & the pilot is held responsoble. Even stand entry, remember, is a stand entry guidance system. Follow it religiously accuarately but hit something , guess ?? Yeah, the law deems that we are responsible.

time to change the law.