PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2013, 07:33
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
Ulm (Bavaria).
That would upset many of my colleagues in Ulm, Danny! Because although Neu-Ulm is indeed in Bavaria, Ulm lies on the other side of the Donau and is therefore in the state of Baden-Württemberg. No doubt you recall 'Ich habe in Ulm, um Ulm und Ulm herum gebummelt'......

To start the engine, first it must be rotated to a speed sufficient to allow continuous combustion of the fuel. This is accomplished with cartridges, external air start, or electric motor.
The Jumo 004 as fitted to the Me-262 had another method. If you look at the intake bullet, you will see a hole with a small ring inside. The intake bullet actually contains the 10hp 2-stroke petrol-engined starter motor. Normally this starter motor was itself started with a small electric motor, but, if that failed, a brave member of the ground crew would pull on the ring, which was part of the back-up cable start mechanism for the 2-stroke motor (think British Seagull outboard...only probably more reliable). This was shown to me once, but not on a live engine! I imagine the groundcrew chap would leg it sharpish once the starter motor fired though!