PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where has my passion gone?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 19:29
teknow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, feeling for you here.

+1 for gliding. I started there on a 5-day course in April 1995. Wonderful and had a brilliant instructor. But after qualifying, found it hard to maintain as family life took over. It was tricky to find a whole day on the weekend to go gliding. Gliding is not only a hobby, sport, call it what you will but you are expected to help out, drive the winch, retrieve gliders, wash them ... Not just turn up and fly.

Why not do more dual flying with instructor on-board? Do a night rating, instrument flying etc. even if you have no appetite to fly for a career you can still learn the skills - forget the exams for now, if the passion returns there will be time for that!

You could do the CPL theory exams as self study, just to learn more and keep amused. If you feel confident, go sit the exams!

I think just remove any pressure and get back to enjoying flying. For what it's worth, I had a big gap in my flying, am almost current again and plan on mixing solo flight with trips out with the instructor and slowly chipping away at further qualifications. I'm too old to fly for a living, and my 2014 promise to myself is to self study the first 4 CPL exams and pass them!