PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I order an anorak also?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 16:22
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a Sim for the PC! It will save it's own cost in crashes as well as training your muscle-memory.

market leaders are Realflight and Phoenix.
Realflight 's main features....comes with a dummy Futaba transmitter, excellent sticks, switches and trims, option to slave your real transmitter to control, or 2 "players" to fly simultaneously. Wide range of fixed-wing, Rotary and sailplanes, every parameter you can think of ,can be adjusted, including slowing down time, to give you extra reaction time!
Many "rendered backgroundsas well as photofields. the rendered ones are very "3-D model" but even have adjustable sun azimuth (or moonlight!) and wind that blows the leaves on trees and bushes.

the photofields are actual panoramic photos, but IMHO the model appears to fly in front, rather than "in" there is an online "multiplayer" facility, if that's your bag.

Phoenix had very realistic photofields when it was first released and many argued that the flight-physics were vastly superior.
With Phoenix you use a dongle-lead and your own transmitter. It's cheaper than Realflight.

Fleabay is your friend for used bargains....provided the vendor deregisters Realflight, they re-register and support you(some free updates , models etc.

Runryder, the model heli forum has a dedicated sim. sub-forum.

I still can't fly my nitro Heli, but reckon I've saved at least £1000 in crashes, using Realflight. the crashes are realistic too! anything from a chipped wingtip to a full-scale disintegration....but the red button gives you an instant repair