PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 12:50
confused atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suspect that any extension of 07/25 would have to happen at the 07 THR and west.

The PCN is given as 55/R/C/W/U.
R rigid
C low strength

So this too would need to be upgraded otherwise you are maxing out at A320 and some A321 but B738 is out

Therefore I would surmise that the only realistic upgrade of 07/25 would effectively be a new runway.

what was in the mind of the Person who decided that the main runway at Cork should be at 90 degrees to the prevailing winds.
I would surmise that when the airport was first mooted that the 4 runway orientations 07/25 and 17/35 were deemed acceptable to cater for all wind directions.

Since then the "main" runway 17/35 has been extended to accommodate bigger and newer jet traffic.
The 07/25 had been maintained and is used for turbo prop operations like 13/31 was in Shannon.

When the time comes for major works on 07/25 the taxpayer will have to foot the bill if there is an independent Cork and the economic justification here will be thin.
You better hope the Dauphin is returned to power for this to happen.

If Cork remains a "Subsidiary" of the DAA good luck to you getting them to foot this bill.