PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfix December Desktop Calendar
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 12:45
pbk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think rather more of us a at least secret modellers, but I am sure that modelling was almost a right of passage in my schoolboy days. Not many lads went without an Airfix Spitfire, a brilliant stocking filler.
I built most of the Airfix offerings as a school boy and when I joined in 66, some of the stuff produced by fellow appos was amazing.

Having left in 90, I miss the sight sound and smell of the wonderful stuff that was flown by the RAF in my time, and when my grandson got to the right age I gave him a 1/72 Spit. Unfortunately he wasnt interested, but it rekindled a spark in me......... I have currently got a stack of Airfix kits waiting for my shakey old hands to murder, but I have such great memories; being kept awake as a 6/7 year old by Javs at Odiham, prototype VC 10s at @2000 over Bentley (why?) Black Arrows practising for Farnborough (never needed to go) Victor and a couple of Lightnings in formation the summer I joined up, again over Bentley, numerous sonic booms. The Jav on the main gate at Stafford Recruitment Centre and again the 1st fault finding excercise on a Jav in the hangar at Cosford. A Vulcan cruising over Cosford complete with Blue Steel, Shiny brown Hercs at Thorney Island.. Vulcans at Waddo and Scampers (how can 2 camps be so different?) Redtop & Firestreak at STCAAME for the sins of an earlier life but brilliant contact with the fast jet fleet... Marham for a couple of years on the magnificent Victor and finally a return to Fat Albert.
Currently got a Vulcan, 2 Valiants, 1/48 Jav, 1/48 Lightning lined up and looking for a Revell/Matchbox Victor. I shall enjoy every single minute of their construction and will be busy recalling happy times spent on the real thing. Airfix? Dont knock it!!