PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Church Fenton
Thread: Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 08:57
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
RAF Church Fenton; probably the friendliest station I ever served on. Criminal that it is closing and more criminal that it has been allowed to go the way that it has. It is/was the best example of a 1930s fighter airfield left in the country think Bicester but with a couple of "modern" buildings). For those wondering, all the married quarters were sold off in the late 90s; when I drove past a month or two ago all were looking well cared for. The bit that is up for sale/sold for a housing development is the old Officers' Mess site. Plans and a planning app for 65 houses shoe-horned into the area shown in the Google Maps shot below

A large chunk of the site is/was also up for sale is part of the technical site which comprised the old Sgts' Mess, the Airmans' Club and all of the accommodation blocks. The bit that was kept for the EFT units, YUAS, 9 AEF and the ATC unit was effectively all of the waterfront, supply (as overspill for L-o-O) and the old SHQ; other bits such as Stn workshops, MT, the church were inside the wire but derelict. On my last visit it was sad to see the the pre-war parachute packing/store building had joined the list of recent demolitions.

YUAS and 9 AEF have moved to Linton (one wonders how long for given the rumours surrounding the disastrous MFTS programme), not sure what has happened to the ATC Sqn though.