PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 05:56
noip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the above simply amplify the conflict between the current management theory and reality in aviation.

Management theory as applied now seems to be to dumb down the "coalface" job so it is easier to employ cheap labour. It is Management who will decide what needs to be done and the end of the line doesn't have to think, but just do as he is told. Certainly that is my observation over the last decade or so.

Unfortunately, this just does not work in Aviation. What seems to burn at Management is that they can't dumb down Pilot / Engineer / Cabin Crew / Customer Service. The only way things will work is to have intelligent, skilled people in those positions.

All my interactions with Operations Control, IOC or whatever this weeks name is, re-inforce that. Whilst I have had sensible advice from Ops Control, their score is not good, running at about one good out of 10 bad pieces of advice. Rather than Ops Control controlling, the reverse is true - they just need to do what the people on the scene tell them.

The only way management can work in Airlines is with a "network" model, rather than "hierarchical" model. A good example is the book "It's Your Ship" about a destroyer in the US Navy.

N