PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2013, 20:35
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see (BBC TV news this morning) that the UK-based Greenpeace mob who attacked the Russian oil exploration vessel recently, and who have been held in custody in Russia before release, arrived back in Britain today from St Petersburg - by taking Air France to Paris CDG and then Eurostar to London, because "they don't want to use Heathrow because of the 3rd runway proposal."
I had the exact same thoughts the levels of hyporcrisy are staggering ! From memory there are 4 runways at CDG too......who are funding new nuclear power stations in the UK ? Electricite de France........
Typical gesture politics!

Yup. I gave up on G'peace some ten years ago. Nuclear is not ideal but since humans are not going to stop using electricity, it's the only answer. Fortunately, once the oil runs out, folks will get the general idea.

Another good reason for G'e to support the 3rd is that it will reduce stacking and holding - which will mean less go-juice being burned up going round and round. But, obviously, burning less fuel is a bad idea.
Exactly, a sanctimonious belief that they are right and everyone has got it wrong, together with classic hypocrisy, is often the hallmark of so-called "green" and "environmental" organisations.

Unfortunately they appear to have politicians by the "short and curlies".

R3 will reduce holding and fuel burn until commercial pressure quickly fills that runway capacity as well and you are back to square one with even more stacks and fuel burn
That's why we need four parallel rwys at LHR. By the time two more rwys fill up, technology will have moved on, and aircraft will be even quieter and cleaner than today's. Necessity is often the mother of invention.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 28th Dec 2013 at 23:51.