PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2013, 17:41
gazza007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great posts. I was one of those boys in my fawn Parker with the 10x50 bins and big radio in the 70's. I grew up In Heald Green and I guess that is where my interest grew and was very lucky to gain PPL in a PA38 from the Old South side.
I remember the old check in area near what is ground level. Up the escalators to departure hall. Past the chandeliers to the spectators entrance to the piers by the Lancaster restaurant. Those cooling towers used to fascinate me.
Those were the glory days of aviation where you would wave people off to their hols on the Dan air comets and Early jets. The smell noise and exhaust heat was something else. Diversion days were great especially at weekends. I can remember some interesting craft. SAA 747 SP various L1011 etc. people forget MAN used to operate many heavies. CPAIR Wardair Laker to name few.
I remember my first flight in Britannia 737-200 adv think it was AVRM? To PMI & visiting cockpit. Here Iam over 40 years later in Mexico having just had my first flight on Thomson 788. That thrill still remains. I was very fortunate to have attended the Concorde Gala dinner in November. Great evening but was nice to see the old photo display. Well done TAS.
I get sick to death of the press coverage on the London Runway situation.
I honestly Believe that MAN can go from strength to strength the road & rail/tram infrastructure is really starting to take shape and with Airport city to come this is a great time for all who live and work at this great City and Airport.