PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA "The Election" (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2003, 06:44
axiom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken Dog, read on.

Creampuff;

Good positive post, except I can't abide the CASA/AUF corruption bit, it's simply not on, (this sort of thing), and epitomises what is wrong with aviation in Australia. I was a victim of this same sort of corruption.

I concur with your unpalatable facts but itwouldn't matter if Gaunt or Madonna were president or spokesman, you would still get dissention in the ranks.

What AOPA needs is a Board that addresses your suggestions numbers 1 to 6, is focused and cohesive. It is not at the moment and contrary to what is touted here, it is not all Hamiltons fault. If there is blame to be apportioned it should be applied to current and immediately past Board members who have been running the show since last AGM.

I agree, the Board is top heavy.

Murphie's motion to the AGM attempts to bring about much needed change without altering the Articles of Association, without radical clashes with ego's and tries to put a positive spin on something that is so negative it is little wonder doors are closed. Perhaps kicking them down is a bit rough, but my previous point was that appeasement does not work either.

Notes on the Murphie motion, which encourage the establishment of State run Chapters;

As AOPA belongs to the members and should be a powerful lobby group for the general good of GA, it should be given back to the members.

This forum and other interests have been canvassed and the most positive aspects put forth. Others will argue the ammendments to the Articles but this motion needs no such alterations which historically are treated with contempt by the members.

A Joint States Standing Committee be established (a management decision), represented by all States and the Northern Territory. Three representatives be elected that geographically represent their State and each chapter, as part of their membership drive to get more AOPA members, they gather as many permanent proxies which are filed on a data base and ammended as dues fall etc. these can be removed or replaced at the members behest, but kept at a minimum of 100.

These proxies, can be used as a lever to keep the Board in check. (100 can call an EGM for example). The Board would have to listen.

The States can put up policy to the Board for consideration and can enlist other States for support. If it has no support, it is scrapped.

If things need radical surgery, a concensus of the States 700 proxies would guarantee change and truly represent the members wishes. A majority of the States should be listened to anyway.

No State would be disadvantaged by population if each could only use 100 of their proxies in any single issue.

Murphie is canvassing proxies as I write this and needs them to guarantee support for his motion that is having a luke warm reception by certain members (a minority), of the Board who see it as an erosion of their power base.

His Email address is [email protected]

THE MOTION AS IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE BOARD:

"That AOPA adopt a National Management structure that allows for State based Chapters which are responsible to the National Board in all policy matters but are able to manage local issues with a high degree of independence"

Murphie is prepared to give 12 months of his time to establish this concept and is a nominee for the next elections.

I believe that there is nothing to lose by trying this and it simply needs support. It certainly does not need "whiteanting" and, for those of you with differences of personality agendas, it does away with demagogues and keeps talent where it should be. Not sent to Coventry by a clique.

Axiom has also canvassed some of CASA and they see only good coming out of it.

Also no need for door kicking or appeasement, OR CORRUPTION Creampuff.