PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2013, 16:51
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captplaystation
Given how outrageously the management (some of it not even pilot management) behaved towards the last crew to be involved in such a public incident (thinking the LHR 777 not the open cowling Bus jobbie) one can only hope that their treatment of the crew is more considered & consistent across the whole enquiry than they managed back then . . .when the FD crew went from being publicy feted heroes to having their abilities questioned in the fluttering of a stewards eyelash.
A reasonable assessment, but let's not forget that it was instigated by the press, as the Captain involved abided by BA protocol and refused interviews. The FO gave an interview, but IIRC only after the press hacks began to harass his elderly mother.

As we've since learned from the Leveson inquiry, standard tabloid practice when faced with refusal of an exclusive is then to dig up anything they can find and threaten to run that article instead - amounting to blackmail couched in the terminology of "we want you to tell *your* side". Ongoing industrial tensions between flight crew and cabin crew may have made their job easier, but it was the gutter press who behaved the most despicably.

Incidentally, to the best of my knowledge I don't recall anyone I know to be current or former members of Camp Nigel giving the Asiana crew a hard time in that thread - so while some may hold double standards on the subject, I doubt it's fair to tar Nigel with that brush.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 27th Dec 2013 at 17:03.