PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 27th Dec 2013, 14:58
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Courtney

I think we are at cross purposes because I don't think you really disagree with the opinions I've expressed.

I have no real interest in what system is fitted, although you surprised me by implying JTIDS isn't fitted to any Tornado. Not saying you're wrong by any means, it's just that I recall it being a requirement many moons ago in the mid-80s.

My offerings centre on the fact that, regardless of what system is fitted, it remains MoD policy that (a) it need not be functionally safe, (b) a false declaration may be made that it is safe, knowing it is not, and (c) it is an offence to refuse to make that false declaration. I will never agree with this policy, although I know many do. The MAA are fully aware of it and continue to keep quiet.

Your JTIDS comments reminded me that it was the same MoD Directorate/IPT that implemented the above polices so zealously, their mantra being "It works on the bench in isolation, so there is no need to integrate or test it in the aircraft". Hence, Burridge's recommendations regarding functional safety of the IFF in the ZG710 BoI.