PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2013, 01:04
Easy Street

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
This year was my third go at cooking the Christmas turkey on the trusty charcoal-fired orb. For those wondering if they should give it a go next year, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I find it much easier than oven-cooking the blighter; it takes half the time (2.5hrs for our 14lb bird vs 4.5-5 in the oven) and needs far less attention during that time (only 1 basting given, and judging by how moist it always turns out I think I might even risk none next time). 25 briquettes each side keeps it going long enough to finish the job without a refuel. Oven can be run nice and hot to get the potatoes done without the shelf-juggling dance.

The only downside to BBQing the turkey seems to be the gravy; the pan juices come out excessively smoky and even this Weber aficionado has had to abandon attempts to use them. I have been using a drip pan between the coals on the lower grate with the bird sitting directly on the grill above; does sitting it in a tray instead make the juices more palatable, anyone?