PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2013, 22:32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This really strkes a chord with me:
That said I do think the events this year should be a wake up call to some at BA (not just management) who seem to think that safety is a given, that the ability to operate the aircraft now comes secondary to being customer focused and that the answer to each and every problem is to produce an app for the iPad.
Safety does indeed seem to be thought of as just what we do! The number of additional (non primary) tasks which are either required or encouraged is very much on the increase.

Last minute loadsheets, sometimes by radio. Single engine taxi out. Ipad apps. BFD. Constant changes to procedures.

Yes, they are all manageable by a reasonably organised crew having a reasonable day. But they all have the potential to distract from the primary task, particularly on a bad day. At that point you are relying on individuals to both recognise and accept their own limitations. Prioritising the most important stuff even when under pressure which may occasionally be self induced!

It's difficult to conceive that distraction from the primary task was not involved here? I'll be absolutely intrigued to hear how that happened.

hyatt_1_alpha

If you work for BA, be very careful.