PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gipsy Engines
Thread: Gipsy Engines
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2003, 17:30
Scion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Queen 3

I thought that I might amuse you all with the saga of the left {port} engine of our Rapide.

Previously we had changed the right engine as it was out of hours to a zero timed engine but took the opertunity to do a compression test on the left engine. One was very low so as there had been a top overhaul done 100hrs ago as a preamble to a hours extension that never happened we swapped a head. When the aeroplane arrived chez scion the left engine had 14mm plugs and the right 12mm plugs so now we have all cylinders 14mm save 1.

On run ups we couldn't get more than 1700 rpm, insuficient for flight. But the engine was incredably smooth. Must be fuel- - - carbies checked, fuel cut-off system dismanteled and rebuilt, fuel pumps off and rebuilt and vac systm isolated. System checked for induction leaks.

De H must have been related to Jaguar because to get the fuel pump out of that area requires the dexterity of a marmaset on speed and the strength of superman. Don't even mention the words the Clergy do not know.

Well it turns out that both 12 mm plugs on one cylinder are catcus and after replacement the engine performes faultlessly. I cannot understand how the engine could be so smooth on 5 cylinders. It was No 1 cylinder that was out. Any explanation out there?

Someone told me that the early Queen 2 had 10mm plugs-- Why do they do this to us?

On the good side the fuel system has been rebuilt and understood, and the mortification has been excellent for the soul.

Happy Easter to you all.

Hugs and Kisses

Scion