PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152's maneuvering speed
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2013, 12:28
flarepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
creaze

what do I mean by safety valve? I mean a safety valve as in a boiler like on a ship/steamship.

if a boiler will blow up at 1000psi, a valve that allows dumping of pressure that opens at 900 psi will prevent the boiler from exploding.

so too VA. it is a safety valve that causes the plane to be unloaded (by stalling) before it breaks apart.

yes, you STALL before the wings reach failure and fall off. by stalling the load is reduced and the wings DON'T FALL OFF ( no comment on airbus 300s) ;-)

IT is counterintuitive as jacko says. Flying faster when heavier doesn't make sense does it...but it is the way it works.

as to jacko's comment about learning styles, yes intelligent students do seem to learn better when they understand. and if I was employed by creaze as his CFI, I would spend hours explaining it to him. And I would charge him current rates I've seen incalifornia are between 80 and 90 dollars an hour.

I am reminded constantly about the Sergeant in the Army who taught his men how to fix/unfix bayonets on their rifles. Place rifle stock between legs, place bayonet on barrel lug without touching barrel.

troops went on maneuver and were told to fix bayonets...smart guys said: its dumb to put "GUN" (soliders laugh here) between legs to put bayonet on...why not just hold gun barrel by hand and fix bayonets.

men went on to the maneuver, including firing over 100 rounds of live ammo.

command to unfix/remove bayonets.

SMART GUYS burned hands

DUMB guys did what the sgt told them to do, and didn't burn hands

what happened.

In the army, or anyplace, there are reasons to learn things by rote...the rifle barrels were hot from shooting and the smart guys hadn't thought of that and placed their hands on the barrel to remove bayonet.

dumb guys didn't think it through too much and did what they were told

IN FLYING, sometimes its better to know something and do it the right way without over thinking it in critical situations.