PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 26th Dec 2013, 03:45
RotorIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANFI

Hmmm no never heard either HP or bananas referred to on the VSI ...even in soviet helicopters...because it's irrelevant depending on what the aircraft is doing. A zoom climb requires less HP even though you are bleeding energy.

My point is you have to frame the discussion in a way a pilot can relate to. HP.sec is meaningless to the average pilot and even the experienced pilot because it is not something we use when flying - for anything, there is no frame of reference . I have been taught by 3 different militaries and several civilian companies and have never heard anyone refer to a power demand in terms of hp.sec. Might be technically correct but it's practically useless as it has no relation to anything I am doing in a cockpit that I can reference. Sorry nobody works in HP anymore outside of the US, it doesn't mean anything outside of a design department.
If your talking generalities in energy management hmmm appropriate for basic flight training but assumed for a commercial pilot.
If your referring to a specific energy demand and its effects then yes there is a different discussion helo pilots use to correlate effects of a power demand to various issues encountered in Helos but it is specific to a type and varies by rotor design. But it ain't in terms your using.