PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 26th Dec 2013, 03:10
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorIP
No I understand energy No you don't and teach it probably but your reply is exactly my point. Nobody teaches HP.secs yes they do. Seriously I don't know of an instructor or ground school anywhere that taught something like that because it has no relevance to actually flying really? . Maybe at the test pilot school for calculations but that's it, too many variables. IT THE FUNDAMENTALS - it's VERY easy the ENERGY is in Fuel, Ht, A/S, RRPM, you feed it one of those at the rate the helicopter requires it - don't run out of RRPM till the drop won't kill you.
Waiting 2 secs before reacting is a certification criteria. Look it up. part 27 or 29? Happy to beleive you on that - thought it was 1 sec but dependant on phase of flight - sounds reasonable but I am sure the intervention at 2 seconds is not lever down without (simultaneous) aft cyclic (for high speed cruise )

"has no relevance to actually flying"

Pilots do need to understand the Fundamentals of Energy:
Where it is
What it's worth
How fast you need it
How you can access/exchange it
- it's not rocket science, shirley?

HP.Sec is just a vehicle for doing that - some people use the unit the BANANA - you may have heard of those?
(Talking BANANAS: You may say u need 4 Bananas to fly at 60kts, 8 to hover, 9 at 140kts. 100ft is 1 Banana, 30kts is worth 1Banana 60kts is worth 3 bananas, 120kts is worth 7 bananas.) I don't like bananas!

but the Hp.Sec is pretty simple and easy and gives a clear representative understanding of the principles - without getting out a calculator.

Last edited by AnFI; 26th Dec 2013 at 03:12. Reason: high speed cruise