PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152's maneuvering speed
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 20:07
creaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C152's maneuvering speed

Hi all,

I'm a flight student, doing PPL right now. There's one question with a precise answer, that yet leaves me confused.

Cessna 152's maneuvering speed is a range of 93 to 104 knots. Depending on weight, so the POH says. That is, 93 when i weigh 1350 pounds in total and 104 at MTOW of 1670 pounds.

I keep trying to penetrate the physics behind this dependence, but get to conclude, it has to be inverse. Can somebody explain me why it isn't?

When i make an abrupt maneuver, in what effect does it differ from a smooth input? An increased load on the airframe, right? The strenght of the wings, the struts, the fuselage etc is limited, so a too big force of a jerk might brake them. Rip off wings, for example.

What does force consist of? It's acceleration times mass. Now if i understand aerodynamics right, the same deflection of a control surface at higher speed causes a faster change of situation (pitch, roll, whatever). Is that right?

So the higher the speed, the less we would want the mass to be, for the resulting load to stay the same. If we introduce a range of maximum maneuvering speeds, we would allow the pilots to make maneuvers at higher speed if the weight is well below maximum. Right now what i see in the POH is the opposite of it: you may make turns at 104 KT with MTOW, but only 93 KT if you're very light.

Where am i wrong?

Thank you