PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 16:49
asw22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all!

Merry Christmas to everyone...

I am sorry for my lateness but 5 days after posting the challenge I did not have any answer and I was quite busy at the time so it did slip from my mind!!! Sorry about that...

It is indeed Irles/Grevillers in the french designation, but the Germans did know it better as Achiet. The look on Google Earth will show you that there are indeed quit a lot of remains to see including an half complete runway.
When visiting it is amusing to notice two very distinct qualities of concrete: the good one was made by the locals under British contract (however the airfield was not finished in 1940) , the sh..ty one was done by the same under German tenure...and presumably not the same enthusiasm! The difference is quite spectacular, and this very hastily and badly cast concrete can be found in several former airfields around, especially those from the initial period (2nd half of 1940) .

Amically,

JVM

PS I will be more awake for the next one...or I will have landed (even if these times I am more used to 2nd seat of a K13)

Last edited by asw22; 25th Dec 2013 at 20:38.