PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 12:20
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golf Sierra

Not speaking specifically about this incident, but as a skipper, I would tend to avoid an evacuation if at all possible. It can cause life changing injuries.

Avtur is not Avgas / petrol. It is really quite hard work to ignite, does not explode when in liquid form, and if you have a fire service standing by - even if it does light up, will be suppressed ASAP.

Bear in mind the Flt Crew do not tend to say "we will not evacuate" - they say "we will not evacuate now". That decision can be "upgraded" to evacuate instantly, and everybody will be off in 90s. I know of few (Saudi TriStar) non-evacuations which were costly in losing lives, I can think of plenty where in retrospect, an evacuation might have been better avoided/delayed. Bottom Line:
if I was the captain, I would not have taken the chance....get your pax to safety !
I am not trained that an evacuation is getting my pax to safety - it is putting them in real danger. It is done when it is assessed it is safer (or less hazardous) than not evacuating. That of course is largely a subjective decision

I have no idea what BA would do to pax who initiate an evacuation themselves. In circumstances such as this, it would be more for the investigation team to assess, and make recommendations as required. As Flt Crew we are aware an evacuation may be initiated by "others", normally CC.

As above, I would not bother writing to BA about the (non-)evacuation. Better, if you have a genuine concern, would be to communicate with whoever is investigating - it is after all a significant factor in their job.