PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 12:12
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most revealing, that last photofrom the cockpit
How strange that an english countryside "B"-road, used mainly by sub-50 thousand pound cars and tractors, is a damned -sight better marked and signposted, than a taxiway used mainly by ~50 MILLION pound aircraft

It amazes me , how pilots find their way around with such piss-poor signage and vast expanses of concrete with a couple of scabby, worn and low-viz paintlines at best.

OTOH, Myself and the rest of the B-road users, don't set ourselves up as professional drivers commanding £100, 000 plus, to exercise our skills!
I won't bring the odd lorry-driver getting stuck under a bridge, or the double-decker driver who converts it to single under said obstruction
into the debate. ( again, poor pay and poor training for what they do and the responsibility they ultimately carry.)

Perhaps internationally, professional Aviators' "unions" should be collectively directing their energies towards persuading these wayward airports to upgrade their facilities to 21st. century standards, or suffer a distinct lack of professional Aviators bringing custom to said "landing strip"