PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Country - Flying High
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 01:32
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to the wonderful world of rotary.

I'd concur with aris - use the wind for all the advantages you mention, but enjoy the ability to take a safe scenic view from 1000' or so if appropriate. You can't fly rotary in a "might-get-a-chip-light" profile, or you'd go mad - it's just that most of us do jobs that benefit from being able to use the versatiliy of the machine at relatively low level. Getting up high might be fun sometimes, but we're be hitting our heads on airspace most of the time anyway!

In 30+ years I've had a handful of chip lights (engine, MGB & TRGB) and all have resulted in a safe landing, without significant sweat - most showing minimal metal on the detector. Having read a lot of reports for professional development, I can't actually remember reading one where a chip resulted in a seizure - we'd all be paranoid if that were the case!
The only advice I'd give would be to respect aris' words re mountain turbulence, since not doing so, especially when new to rotary, will much more likely get you than a chip light!

Enjoy the trip & let us know how you get on, it should be fun as the 206 is a trusty bird.

Happy Christmas,
z

Last edited by zorab64; 25th Dec 2013 at 01:34. Reason: typo