PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 00:21
neila83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It gets worse.

Wisr. Seriously? As I understand it, getting to the runway is considered a necessary routine part of any flight and part of pilots training, and something planes are designed for. I believe double engine failures are outside most expectations. Hence sensible to brief the taxi. Your post seems to imply you don't consider a taxi briefing necessary, and as appropriate as briefing for hypothetical 1 in a billion events.

The poster didn't suggest briefing for any eventuality. They suggested briefing for a known necessary part of the flight, which your colleagues have said is the most dangerous part at night, so that seems sensible does it not? Maybe it's time you start doing a taxi briefing....or if you really think you can't fly to JNB without an unacceptable risk of killing people, then don't. It sounds like some here are as scared of taxiing as the Asiana crew were of visual approaches.

Surely the crew had briefed well enough to know there was a turn in that area? If I crash a car into another car, injure or kill people, and say 'the signs weren't good enough', you know what, they don't care, I get jail time. This guy won't, and shouldn't, but, just understand, you're not being picked on. I think some of us just want to know pilots take this king of thing seriously, and most of you do, it's just scary some don't, that's all.

I spent the last 2 years living in the Pacific working on shipping, and if you think your navaids are bad, try steering into a Pacific port in a barely seaworthy boat, in a storm. And if it sinks, the captain, in the unlikely event he lives, certainly doesn't get another go. Deal with your responsibility, you earn more than 5% (probably more) of people in Britain, doing a job I assume you chose to do, rather than one you are forced to do like most people.