PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 00:03
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
wilsr
Pukindog:

>>Anyone operating into less-than-ideal airports KNOWS it may be substandard to what we're used to seeing in the 1st world, and considers things like lack of or poor signage and markings a threat, and is discussed just like bad weather, terrain, etc. A proper brief will discuss the taxi route and (in this case) the jog to the left, the expectation to look for the red hold-short sign for the runway (as clearly seen in the picture) and the fact that there's a taxiway leading straight ahead you don't want to take. The whole purpose of briefing beforehand it is to figure out the traps before you begin taxiing and arrive there because there are cockpit chore and duty distractions in between. If you expect there to be no traps or have them all magically erased you're in the wrong business.<<

Correct - but your post is in response to a previous incident and is idealistic.

Say the aircraft had got airborne as planned and suffered a double engine failure (birdstrikes?) at 100'. You might then post criticising the captain for not briefing for the double engine failure, the low level terrain, the emergency fuel dump procedure, the immediate return for an overweight landing on the reciprocal runway, the evac procedure after the resulting brake fires etc etc.

It's all very well being wise after the event but it's clearly impractical to brief for every eventuality. Hindsight is a wonderful attribute.
I'm not dealing with hindsight or "every eventuality". The subject is getting lost while taxiing. As i stated, the best tool in the shed for THIS type of incident (as well as preventing runway incursions or accepting a bogus clearance) is a thorough brief as to taxi expectations then adjusted for the actual clearance and reviewing it before you're moving. This is something that should be done TODAY and TOMORROW, not only in hindsight. Apparently, you haven't seen most pilots here stating we have been confused at some point or another during taxi. We taxi aircraft at least twice each flight. However, most responses are moaning about bad lighting, bad signage, etc etc. Yes, that's the real world out there where everything isn't perfect.

What has been lost as far as things that could prevent this has nothing to do with depending on some 3rd world airport authority to rectify problems that will never be rectified. What hasn't been addressed is what we as pilots do to mitigate these threats up until that day (which will never come) where everything is perfectly laid-out for us and we don't even have to think ahead.

And lastly, I didn't criticize this captain. I stated at the very beginning I'm interested in hearing as to whether a proper and thorough brief of taxi expectations and clearance were done. Doing so is SOP. It's routine (or should be). That isn't 'idealism" as you put it, it's professionalism and is only one of the many things we're paid to do.

It sounds to me like you don't bother with briefing the taxi route/clearance. Is it not that important to you or just don't think it's needed? Do you even recognize it's importance?