PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAM Mozambique flight crashed...
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2013, 19:10
surplus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once your mind is made up, which is obviously the case, there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

I cannot give you any direct evidence that there was a rudder hardover on SilkAir 185 simply because there is none. Likewise, you cannot give me any direct evidence that the pilots intentionally crashed the aircraft committing both suicide and mass murder.

There were essentially 3 different investigations dealing with all aspects of the flight. All three of them come to different conclusions. A 4th investigation dealing only with the captain's psychological profile and personal life, could find no evidence indicating the likelihood of suicide.

So, where are we? The NTSC says it cannot determine the cause of the accident. The NTSB believes that it was suicide on the part of the Captain (apparently the F/O just sat there and allowed himself to be killed). Attorneys and experts investigating for the families conclude that the PCU of the accident aircraft had manufacturing defects that could have caused a rudder hardover. The also allege that a later release of the full FDR data indicates that it was recordidng and it shows the rudder hard-over. The same kind of suspected rudder hard-overs that occured in UAL 585, USAIR 427, Eastwind (CAL) 517, CAL over Honduras, Copa 201, March 8, 1994 - Sahara India Airlines (training accident). Just too many similar incidents to be ignored or dismissed.

Here's and interesting summary of incidents/accidents: The Seattle Times: Safety at issue: the 737

Here's the final "fix" that should preclude further incidents:

[url=http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/2a37f5faba444a8086256c4b005a2884/$FILE/022007.pdf [/url]

"Air crash investigations sometimes become highly politicized, with airlines, airplane manufacturers, pilots and governments pointing fingers at each other. The U.S. analysis deflects responsibility away from the U.S.-made plane; the Indonesian report tends to defend the pilot."

You are correct, "saying it happened before on other aircraft" is not evidence. Assuming that the Captain commited suicide is also not evidence.

The NTSB is very good at what it does but it is not flawless. Will it strive to protect US interests (especially with "foreign" accidents)? Just as much as the British board, the French board or the Indonesian board.

It's OK for you to be convinced that SilkAir 185 was pilot suicide. I am equally convinced that it was not suicide and we just don't know the answer with any acceptable degree (to me) of certainty. I think that a lot more points to a rudder hard-over than a suicide.

We're all entitled to our own opinions; we are not entitled to our own facts. In the case of SilkAir185 there are only two facts: 1) the aircraft crashed, 2) we don't know why.

Last edited by surplus1; 24th Dec 2013 at 19:23.