PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP, endorsement and Piper Cheyenne II
Old 24th Dec 2013, 13:32
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With enough ballast (and a REAL W&B sheet) in the nose there is no problem IMHO.

Having said that, the II - again IMO - is a handful on a G/A or worse, a SE G/A.

There was an accident at EDNY involving a swiss reg II a few years ago, said airplane crashed inverted on the airfield. My private theory is that the pwr levers where advanced quickly when realizing a slow speed situation and then one side 'bit' faster than the other. Low speed(high AOA) and high power is when the II gets nasty. (there is a torque restriction SE with SAS off/ u/s)

The airframe is basically the pressurized Navajo that sported some 350 horses (IIRC) and the II has 628 per side....it also needs the tiptanks for stability, as they found out when they flew the 1 without...

When you get to know the airplane its a delight to fly, like a sports car, just donīt push it close to the envelopes boundaries.

I have a few hours in it and compared to a B200 its way more demanding.
A close relative of mine flew the first II in Europe in 1974 and stayed on the type til 1990 - there were tears involved when being 'forced' to fly the B200 instead of the II....