PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Church Fenton
Thread: Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2013, 10:30
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real shame the place will be no more. I went to one of the last Air Displays there as a kid, in the final year of the RAF Vulcan display (when it had "FAREWELL" written inside the bomb bay doors). My dad used to go in the 60/70s an had fond memories of the EE Lightning.
Spent some time there as a cadet while 642VGS were temporarily based there, and also flew twice from there in a Bulldog years back during "Air Experience" sorties as a cadet with a fantastic bloke (ex Jaguars) called Sqn Ldr T Steen. I was chuffed to bits when I climbed in the bulldog for my second trip (about 6 months later) and he remembered who I was from the previous trip without me saying anything more than "hello Sir". I was doing my PPL out of Leeds Bradford at the time, aged 15, and asked if we could go and look at Holme on Spalding Moor as it would be a turning point on an upcoming Nav trip (I couldn't solo yet so had jumped ahead a little with the PPL training to doing some Navexs) and I wanted to have a cheeky look to easily identify it in future. So off we went, first flight of the day, giving his wife a wave as we flew over their house in Cawood, then onto H-S-M.
Then in more recent years, flying for leisure, and instructing locally, it was always nice to work with the Fenton controllers and get the odd (freebie) ILS approach to 2 miles.
Many happy memories of the place.