PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2013, 00:37
freespeed2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who want to hang the pilots (WW I am thinking of you) I suggest that you try to understand what a just culture is:

https://www.justculture.org/what-is-.../#.Uri5rXkte7w
However, it must be remembered that Just Culture is not a 'no blame' culture. In a truly just culture all employees must understand what is, and is not an acceptable standard in the conduct of their duties. Entering the wrong taxiway may be an 'honest' error, but failing to notice the narrowing taxiway or hitting the building...that has yet to be determined as being an error or negligent.
That determination wont be made on this forum or by the AAIB...Unfortunately it will be decided by the corporate suits in the company. What happens to the crew at that point will be a measure of the safety culture of BA.

Yes I can sympathise with the crew for taking the wrong route...I've done it myself more than once. But I will be interested to see in the Report how long it took from straying off route before they hit the building and what was going on in the cockpit during that time.