PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 23:36
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in the RAF

Clicker,
Always time for a Skoda joke.

Why do Skoda's have heated rear windows? To keep your hands warm when pushing the piece of $#|¥.

What do you call a Skoda convertible? A skip.

How do you double the value of a Skoda? Fill the tank.

Danny,
Salt into the wound. Some of us had our own rugs beside our bed...so our little tootsies didn't get cold on the floor when we swung out of bed. Rug rolled up and put into locker before leaving the room, of course.

Warmtoast,

I don't know if it still happens overseas, or indeed anywhere else in the RAF, but it was the norm in the late '70's and into the '80's. The added benefit for the erks, was being waited on by the station execs...and the SWO. Invariably, this generous and considerate re-enactment of the Monarch washing the feet of the poor halted immediately upon the start of the food fight. Looking back now, I never remember any Staish or SWO taking it in bad humour. And I'm sure the dry cleaning bill was paid for through the Stn Cdr's fund.

Mrs camlobe and I were reminiscing whilst addressing crimble cards to far away friends. Every year of our married life while I was serving, we always made sure any of the young singlies we knew who were on duty over the Christmas break, got as close to a home Christmas as possible. The biggest complaint consistently heard from these fine young men was of an over-enhanced abdomen. Mrs camlobe, who came from a large family, was in her absolute element, clucking and fussing with the best of mother hens, while miraculously re-appearing every few minutes with yet more edible offerings. Our daughter grew up with an inordinate number of "older brothers", some of whom we retain contact with to this day. Of course, dear daughter was spoilt rotten by her "siblings".

It was a good life for one and all.

Our thoughts this Christmas go out to those now serving and away from their homes.

Camlobe