PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Someone needs a bit of help
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 20:19
Always a Sapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one Wallah, couldnt agree more. I like you had never met Ann-Marie but saw the original article and thought that folks on here might like to help her achieve her dreams, the rest as they say is history.

As you mention, it is a hard disease to deal with, both for the patient and the family. I remember, back in the early 90's when I had the misfortune but also the fortune to have a long term relationship with a certain ward at what was then the BMH Woolwich. Happily for me, my family member came away with the happy news following treatment, sadly lots didnt. The Staff in the Woolwich were brilliant.

I think, for her the weekend trips home during the latter part of the 6 months treatment were I think one of the hardest parts. Imagine being an in-patient and making friends with everyone else on the ward during the week. Then you get to go home with the family for the weekend and others don't. Every Friday was a tearfull bye bye day and every Monday on the trip back was a very, very apprehensive hour when she was wondering if anyone would be missing.... Sad to say they were on more than one occasion.

I can't really say it improved a lot in that respect when we moved to the out-patient check ups. Over the years faces that were there before werent any more. Eventually, after 5 years she thankfully got the all clear and touch wood has remained so but even with an all clear it's still there in the back of your mind.