PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 20:05
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it seems very likely that the crew will be blamed for this, and possibly correctly so, I am definitely in the 'there but for the grace of God go I' category here. There are very few professional pilots who have not made taxiing errors at one time or other, and I am no exception. Whenever I read anything like this I am sent back to the drawing board to think how could I avoid this happening to me. There are others out there who are baying for blood, but that is sadly the nature of the 'Monday morning quarterback' mentality that pervades large parts of our profession.

In any analysis of this incident, dreadful as it is, it would be worth noting that the Captain and FO (and I have no idea who they are) have probably an exemplary record in both line ops and training. They will have on numerous occasions narrowly avoided incidents, but on this occasion they simply got it wrong. No doubt there will be a wealth of people looking at this to work out why, as there should be, but I personally do have sympathy for the crew and would wish to learn from their errors rather than crow about how good I am compared to them.