PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 19:38
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW

Your response defies belief, oh perfect one

Everything for you is obviously so cut and dried, so black and white.

Q. Have you ever operated a large commercial jet aircraft on a night departure from darkest Afica which is not your home base? I suspect not.

Well I have, and from JNB as Captain on a B747-400. It is a trap waiting for the unwary/momentarily distracted, and I have always been highly aware of that taxiway intersection, and getting it wrong.

Now I am not absolving the FC of responsibility, but suggest that there will be some mitigating circumatances that any crew could have fallen foul of on the wrong day. To castigate them for that is premature. One thing is for sure, they, more than anyone will be replaying events in their minds and wondering what if/what did we do/why. They certainly didn't intend to do it and could do with some sympathy and consideration right now until the full circumstances are understood.

A just society will try to learn from the mistakes of the crew to try and put in place mechanisms that stop other crews making the same mistakes in future. I suspect that some of that will fall onto the airport operator with better signage.

One of the things that aviators hang their hat on is the adage that you must learn from other's mistakes as you don't have time to make them al your self.