PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 18:41
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Reverting to your unfortunate experience with 491, it occurs to me that "I'm in no position to talk", as we used to say. At least you ended with a recognisable aeroplane, and were able to jump down and walk away (the only criterion of a "good landing" in our day). The downside must have been the sense of totally bewildered horror when you turned back and contemplated your recent handiwork. A TM ? - happens all the time. A Spitfire ? - all too easy. A Hastings - well that really is Something !

Whereas I, on my fateful day, finished up with a unrecognisable pile of scrap, was carried out, and took no interest in proceedings for quite a while. MEMO: must lay in a can of Guinness for the 70th Anniversary on 24.2.14....D.

To all who have added to our Store of Knowledge about Programmed Traffic Lights, Thanks !:

This is most interesting. Now, I come to think of it, I have a vague memory of the overhead "lights plus stop-watch" good idea in Germany. And when things were quiet at night, didn't they put the lot off and just have a flashing amber ?....D.

May have told this tale before (in which case apologies): the young Danny in Liverpool, with brand new roller skates, roamed the deserted city streets one Sunday afternoon . The City Fathers had recently installed the first sets of (big, fat rubber) traffic light road pads. Dad had told me how they worked.

Well, I just had to try it (what small boy could resist ?) Finding a quiet crossroads (Church St. was one, the cross at the point where it becomes Lord St. the other), I hopped up and down - and it worked !!

I'd built up quite a tailback of traffic on the other side, and was so engrossed in finding the most "tender" spot on the pad, that I failed to see that the driver in pole position, suddenly realising what was going on, had leaped out, run over to me, and delivered a stinging clout round the ear (you could do that then - '20s or '30s - to universal approval) which led me to desist. (Didn't dare tell Dad when I got home - might have got another "fourpenny one" !) But they were good days....D.

Camlobe,

Private Bedcovers and Quilts !? What is this Air Force coming to, Sir !...D.

26er,

How did you find the 403 ? (Was it not the wondercar of the day ? - after the DS19, of course). I'd like to know, please - and did you try the "Coupleur Jaeger" ?...D.

The Thread is running away from me now. ......Cheers,.... Danny.