PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 18:26
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
About 2,000 armed youths have surrounded the United Nations base in Bor.
If you look and see where the U.N. base is in Bor, and then look for landing sites nearby you will see...(drumroll)...none big enough to land three V-22s. Which means that the V-22s did not attempt to land in the refugee camp. Three V-22s landing in Bor would've blown the whole town away, leveled it like Tacloban. Without the water. No, let's understand that some other LZ was set up and everybody is saying "Bor" because that's where the refugee camp is. Did they land at the airport? That would be logical. I would assume that it was a night op are we really stupid enough to try something like that in the daytime? I would think/hope not. But who knows any of that; the military is not saying.

"2,000 armed youths." Hmm. I seriously doubt all "2,000" of them were armed with actual, working guns with bullets. Given the remote location of Bor, I seriously doubt the rebel leaders could coordinate to get 2,000 daily bowls of rice to feed them, much less 2,000 bullets. We don't know what they were armed with, but we can assume though that all "2,000" armed youths did not run from the U.N. camp in their loincloths and bare feet to the LZ, considering that there is only a handful vehicles in Bor at any given time, and most of them are small trucks. I didn't notice a big fuel depot either. And anyway, who would've been left to surround the UN compound?

Since all three V-22s were damaged by "small-arms fire" and there were injuries on more than one aircraft, we can infer that they were all on the ground.

Sounds to me like another one of the U.S. military's patented, hare-brained schemes to "rescue" some people that went awry. I'd love to meet the guy who planned this one out. I wonder if they'll let him in on the planning for the next rescue attempt...you know, the one that doesn't involve V-22s?