PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 16:49
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Having been flamed before on this part of PPRuNe before I nervously offer this.

Many years ago I attended the court martial of an Argosy captain who had struck another aircraft while taxying at Khormaksar. In his defence it was stated and proved that the line on the taxiway had recently been repainted in the wrong position, several feet in the direction of the aircraft he struck. The stationary aircraft he struck was also incorrectly parked off its mark, several feet in the direction of the aircraft which struck it. In addition his nav (!) gave him a "clear starboard". I've done that myself hundreds of times when keeping lookout for my captain on Victors which had lousy visibility, and I have to confess to crossing my fingers on occasions!

In spite of this, the guy was found guilty of causing the accident and IIRC lost a year's seniority. I dont know if historical rules in the RAF have any relevance in the current world of civil aviation, but it seems to me that as well as perks, the position of captain indisputably carries responsibilities, and as Szygyzy has stated, ultimately he (or she) is the one who is going to carry the can.