PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 10:50
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn’t want to steal ASW22’s show, awaiting his return I just wanted to give some clues to keep the quiz going. I tried to find it myself ‘the honest way’, but I couldn’t, so used some CSI techniques but it still took me 15 min. or so to wade through all possible matches. ASW22’s picture was not in the database (and didn’t find it yet on the www). It wouldn’t be very sportsmanlike to give the answer, but didn’t want to annoy anybody by withholding the answer, either. I’d hoped some extra clues would get the quiz going.

Although most of the RWY’s have gone, most of the airfield perimeter is still in use (more or less) and is largely StreetViewed. Never been able to ‘drive around’ that much on WW II concrete.
For those still in the quiz, some more clues:
  • It is RWY29’s extended centreline that brings you in the Shoreham area, after some half an hour flying at Me109 speeds. ASW22’s picture is north oriented.
  • For the nature lovers, the main landscape feature in asw22’s picture, the forest, is still in good, similar shape, even having reclaimed the dispersal TWY on the eastern side. With Google Earth from about 25km altitude, you can spot it fairly easy (if you’ve worked out the general area).
  • Lots of WW I fighting must have been going on, lots of cemeteries. This village has a British cemetery with a New Zealand memorial (haven’t got a clue if this is a sensible clue).
But if you all decide that I just should shut up and give the answer, fine with me.