PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a conundrum
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 01:31
emergency000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the one thing I think you are missing is a slice of luck.
That or a big fat wad of cash from Daddy and Mummy for their darling cherub to play with his big toys... As that's likely how many of those who can't even grow facial hair yet are sitting pretty in the RHS of shiny jets.

And don't worry: as an engineer, I've dealt with SO's on 777s who I'm pretty sure couldn't grow a beard if their life depended on it! (and no matter how many times they do it, they STILL bugger up the fueling calculations! ) What can I say? Money talks in this industry.

I agree with the other recommendations: go fly bug-smashers in Africa for a few years to clock up some serious hours. Or even look to Europe, the US or Australia, get an ag rating and do some aerial application work. With turbine Thrushes, Dromaders and Air Tractors, you'll clock over 1000 hours on turbines pretty quickly, I'd say. I'd say be prepared to start life doing ground work like fueling and loading, but you're already doing that, so that says a lot about your attitude and commitment.

Ultimately, just stick at it! I'm also 26 and, while not flying, am facing the same conundrum: how can I log hours of experience on aircraft to eventually become licensed to certify them, if no one will take me on so I can log those hours in the first place? It's the same in all industries: companies want experienced people, but no one out there seems to want to put the time and effort into training inexperienced people so they become experienced!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Cheers,
John