PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does any 'heavy metal' use AoA gauges?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 16:27
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Big AoA user and "indicator" advocate here.

Military likes the display because of the operational requirements and the ability to nail approach speed/AoA after a rough calculation from the book for weight and configuration and ....

We also landed closer to the "limit" than the commercial heavies, and the nasal radiators used the "indexer" lights next to gunsight/HUD for their approaches to a rolling, pitching and short runway.

The AoA is most useful when close to max performance and landing approaches. The more current indicators ( figure 1980's and on) compensate for configuration. My first jet with a good AoA indication in the HUD did not! So one rainy night I bumped the flap lever and only had leading edge flaps down and about half the basic flaps down. So my approach speed with the "correct" AoA was about 20 knots too fast and I failed to do a good cross check of configuration and the rule of thumb approach speed. Almost slid off far end of the runway.

OTOH, the basic procedures used by the heavies in the commercial world are pretty conservative and safe. "x" degrees of pitch, and "y" amount of power will work about 99.9% of the time. Unlike AF447.

For the heavies, I would recommend a HUD with an inertial-based flight path vector and the pitch lines. AoA could be optional. Nothing like seeing where you will impact the ground/runway, huh? See Asiana crash.