PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 13:46
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
IMHO I think SASless has bought some sense to this discussion by saying lets call it energy management.
Every scenario is different as are each machine, that is why we are pilots the " loneliness of command" we have to decide what to do and really it should be instinctive. Perhaps that is the problem , training. EOL's are always done by lots of schools I see from 70 kts over head the field straight into wind. Is this due to " most " instructors using the instructing role as a stepping stone to a better paid job. I have always found it quite perverse that the most inexperienced teach the new guys ???????
Doing an EOL from a hover at 500 ft compared to 120 kts is way different technique in energy management
Example in a 500 D in hover you have to dump the lever, which instantly causes a massive nose down attitude and will prevent a catastrophic loss of rrpm. This is actually helpful as it will bring airspeed up very rapidly ( yes I know it unloads the disc and increases rod) but that nose down attitude will mean very quick acceleration followed by a large rear cylic which will start to level the ship and bring back your rrpm. Tried doing it the other way round, all I can say is holy ****.
Now do it at 120 kts, close throttle slight right pedal, hold lever up and pull cylic back, ac actually climbed just but lost rrpm very very quickly as we got back to 60 kts. Better technique to lower lever about half way at the SAME time applying aft cylic ( rod 500 ft for about 8 secs). watch the rrpm and control airspeed and rrpm with collective. As airspeed decays to 80 kts ( best range speed ) gradually lower lever this will increase rrpm and gradually drop nose until you get to 60 kts ( best auto speed) by this time lever should be bottomed to gain as much rrpm as possible and to allow a stable auto and set you up for the EOL which again seems to have fallen off the must do things for instructors ( There is a difference in the mind to yes lets bring the engine in at the level stage, to put it down every time so the brain knows it can do it !!!)

Perhaps I will get my tin helmet on and dig a foxhole quick ..... incoming