PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 09:54
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twice Crab i have been frightened in auto C&T. they bear the semblance of being too complacent with a semi experienced person, but then the crash comics are full of those stories with where two experienced, thought the other was driving.

1. a1500 hr careful, but self opiniated and quite strong pilot in a '47 3B1. i was further being complacent as we would all agree an easy auto machine. bear in mind i did this bloke LL/muster training, me, on the first auto of the check ride, "ok lets do a straight ahead, you fly I will follow, enter smoothly from 500' 60 kts". at 150' ol mate brings the collective up strongly to about half way, the throttle has been checked by me after a safe entry was done, in loud voice as, "throttle in over ride check."

2. an 1800 all on R22 pilot, new to me but supposedly mentored and trained by a couple of hotshots, was asking me at least twice during ride,"could you show me some autos?". this - i have learnt is a danger sign. i thinks to myself, self i better work out what this blokes knows first. hmmm. this young fella is mentally and physically fast. surely he has been taught the basic rules, yep ok let's see, catch him unawares, chop the throttle at 70 kts cruise power. yep nothing, i waited and waited, then roll throttle back on snapping the collective down and flaring, 82% good boy. next exercise, cup of coffee, long talkies, another hour of basics and simple autos, I simply must be sure he will react correctly before i let him go.

apologies for grammar punctuation, etc, iPads and me, we don't get along all that well.
tet.