PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squadron 'Uncles'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 09:47
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A note has recently been released insisting that accommodation can be made available 'at entitled rates' for FTRS subject to certain conditions, chief amongst which is that the post has to have been advertised unsuccessfully several times before this can be applied for. As with almost all things to do with the reserve forces, the entitlement is unclear and needs to be approved (if memory serves) at 2* level. It also assumes that there is 'surplus' accommodation available - something which will become a real problem as more people take this up because, if I read the note correctly, this only applies to SLA (ie not SFA), so will see messes used as hotels by the shift workers or those working week days travelling to their real homes over the weekends.

The other thing about FTRS is just how difficult it is to justify having someone in uniform to do it - there is an agreement between MOD (RAF?) and the unions that these posts will only be created where there is a 'legal requirement' for the postholder to be a member of the Armed Forces. Some examples include flying instructors and ATCOs, neither of whom are required to hold civilian licenses so long as they are members of the Reserve. I am surprised that the sqns concerned have managed to get this past the TUs, but good on them if they have.

Edited to add:

I guess it may be different if the existing post-holder is in uniform and it's a conversion from regular to reserve service, otherwise I would be surprised that the unions hadn't fought it.

Last edited by SirToppamHat; 22nd Dec 2013 at 12:51.