PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 09:11
MPN11

Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by camlobe
The only real leeway we were given was the allowance of private bed covers and quilts. This worked extremely well as the bed pack would remain in the bottom of the cupboard, and would only see the light of day for the Bull Night inspection.
Sadly, in 1964 at BRNC, it was still necessary to prevent the College sinking. Thus, despite now being the Senior Flight and accommodated in 2-man cabins, bed packs remained de rigeur. To save a precious few minutes each morning, my cabin mate and I signed out 2 sleeping bags from the expedition store, and camped nightly in an empty cabin at the far end of the passageway. Our bed-packs thus remained immaculate for weeks on end.
Originally Posted by camlobe
Thirty years before, a number of gentlemen have advised me, the workpiece was a bit different. Everyone started with a block of steel approximately one and a half inches rough square. They then had to reduce this to a cube of one inch square, accurate to one thousandth of an inch, and all corners square.
Indeed, and my brother-in-law was one of those in the 60s. We visited the RAF Museum at Hendon a few years ago, where such a cube was in a display case.

May I take this moment to also wish you all, readers and contributors and indeed all servicemen/women (past and present, and regardless of uniform colour), a very Happy Christmas and a safe and healthy 2014.