PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 09:08
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfred,

I am certainly not bitter, and with the exception of many good mates that have recognised that there isnt a proper valued, worthwhile (professionally and financially) career ahead, it doesn't really affect me.

I have only a few years to do, and depending on what NEM and the new pension eventually throws out, it might be much sooner.

My point was a simple one in that unusually the whole of the Fisheads, not just the FAA rallied behind the transfer of Merlin. It was then promptly followed by a team of what appeared to be the RN's most experienced aircrew, gingers and trainers that soon unravelled our system that allegedly had many imperfections, notably it appears the 'end to end' operational output and not just the conversion to type/re-roles.

But, in this whole programme training is one relatively small element, and with a Defence Review just around the corner then renewed scrutiny will take place across the whole project and if (but one example) hangar space/size (infrastructure) or any other area that cannot be delivered within resources by the RN then many will scope options in retaining the Merlin force at Benson.

As to light blue influence, if you look at the majority of my posts you will see that I actually buy into the environmental concept, so Fisheads are best placed to deliver Air Power from the sea, and the Pongos the same in the Land environment. I actually believe that if we really are going towards a contingent military contingent capability, with a dial 999 for immediate global reaction then the 2 new carriers appear logical......but after quite a few trips on the O Boat and the other carriers it is not for me.

The influence I was referring to is not on the scale of the historical poisonous and damaging Joint Force Harrier, but I personally believe (and I have no knowledge on what goes on within Air Command) that we within the light blue have also to ensure that our career structures, organisation and just like the other 2 Services our critical mass is preserved in the rotary world to prevent it being potentially lost. If Merlin does remain at Benson, then I am sure that we will welcome it and ensure that we will provide enough corporate knowledge and support at station level, while concurrently delivering efficient force elements for the Fisheads to play with their toys when not being used by Army. We will certainly be able to put the RN's Merlin in the hangars, even if a bit of juggling needs to be done with our Wokka plans.

I do not see the next SDSR (or anytime soon) and a Govt/MoD quite making the bold political step of an environmental models based upon capabilities like 101st Airborne (Land) and USMC (Maritime/Amphibious).