PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 21st Dec 2013, 22:12
tyl3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@crab - At the risk of muddying the waters, I attended the ‘Robinson Safety Course’ with Dick Sanford in 2008 and he explicitly stated (to an all-male and ostensibly heterosexual audience) that if you found yourself in an R22 in the cruise with your left hand enjoying the contents of your passenger’s blouse when everything goes quiet, then there was sufficient energy to manage with the cyclic (coning et al) to allow you to finish off what you were doing, remove hand and re-fasten buttons before finally lowering the lever. He said there was around 6 seconds of time. Everyone present asked him repeatedly to clarify this and he did so and was quite insistent that the famous 1.1 seconds could be extended massively in the event that the collective is not or could not be lowered immediately.

I have to say that this flies in the face of so much training to the contrary, and in the absence of any video evidence to prove it, then when the donkey quits I'm aiming to get the lever down quickly irrespective of what the cyclic might be doing.