PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to determine braking action in the absence of TWR info?
Old 21st Dec 2013, 21:28
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to use imagination/interpretation , and local knowledge. . .these guys are only flying in the Canarias, so I guess they just missed the 2nd part ?

Accident: Naysa AT72 at Tenerife on Dec 11th 2013, runway excursion on landing

The Norwegian CAA recently put out a circular advising that their study of runway "incidents" over the last 20 (? ) years identified several common factors . . .one being that the braking action reported usually didn't correlate with what was experienced, and therefore had to be treated as very approximate/inaccurate & with caution. . . .and then what ? well air operations continue day in day out & everyone is expected to "get on with it" Ah, the joy of "command responsibility"

Local knowledge/ caution/imagination/ a healthy scepticism regarding all aspects of reported BA / Oh, and a bit of luck

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the other day. . .when it is really tipping it down, or when the runway is slippery (perceived) as it starts to dry out, why are we (generally ) using "WET" in the EFB to make our performance calculations rather than "Degraded Braking Action" MED or MED/POOR or suchlike. . . I believe I may start to do so, as I seriously doubt whether "WET" is really doing it much justice on certain ungrooved runways.